This recipe card is written in my penmanship. I can actually remember the honor of copying the recipe onto the card for Mom. It must have taken me all night, because I used very careful penmanship. I would do anything to have Mom make doughnuts!!!
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar, (additional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix shortening, sugar and egg.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
4. Stir in alternately with milk.
5. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Immediately roll in melted butter and then in mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
8. Makes 12 medium doughnuts.