Recipe By: Grandma Veit
Yield: 24 rolls or one tea ring
They knew what they were doing. To most of us, the art of baking bread the "old fashioned" way is a lost art.
1 package dry granular yeast
1/4 cup water, lukewarm
1 cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup shortening, melted and cooled
1. Mix as usual.
2. Salt and sugar added to milk while hot.
4. Soften yeast in 1/4 cup water.
5. Add to lukewarm milk mixture.
6. Add 2 cups flour.
8. Add eggs and shortening.
9. Gradually add rest of flour until soft dough is formed.
10. Let rise (double bulk).
11. Shape into rolls or tea ring.
12. Let rise.